News:

Download the NEW Hotwire Direct Draw software now:
http://www.forum.hotwiredirect.com/index.php?topic=125.0

Main Menu

Spraying Styropoxy

Started by imageres, August 26, 2013, 11:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imageres

I am looking for some guidelines on using a sprayer to apply Styropoxy for mold building. What type of sprayers work best and where can they be purchased; and general techniques for application. What I am looking for is an application method that will produce a smooth finish without a lot of hand finishing. 

HotwireDirect

Hi Imageres,

Even though we have not found a great way to spray large quantities of the Styropoxy 7015 and 7060 at this time, it is spray-able with a gel coat gun found here:

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/Gel_Coat_Cup_Gun_00120_A/spray-guns-and-equipment

The 3/16" I/D opening is perfect for the Styropoxy as it's very thick. You also need to hold the gun pointed to the ceiling if you are not actively trying to spray as the material can drip out the large orifice otherwise.

The thing is from tests it was producing the most smooth molds when you brush after spraying. Two coats (brushed each time) produced the finest results.

So for some users the spraying becomes redundant and only makes more clean up than needed. For others it is a good way to apply it. I'll leave that call up to the users.

In tests with other gravity feed HVLP guns it was possible to spray, but it applied the material so slowly it may aggravate the user and test their patience.

One sure way to apply it is to mix and pour evenly across the foam then spread with brush. I typically use the disposable brushes, but it will clean up with Acetone, Alcohol, or warm soapy water if you want to reuse your brushes.

imageres

Is it possible to reduce the Styropoxy in order to make it more sprayable>

HotwireDirect

We advise against thinning the Styropoxy and I have not tried this. I'm not saying you can't try it, but our formulary technicians say it's not a good idea.